I love fairy cakes. Most probably because they were the only thing I was capable of baking for a good five years. I thought I'd try something a little more adventurous with this batch, and opted for coffee and walnut. It's a standard fairy cake & butter cream recipe, with just a few tweaks.
You Will Need (for the cakes)
- 115g unsalted softened butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 115g self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 50g chopped walnut pieces
- 1.5 tsp of instant coffee, dissolved in 1.5 tsp of boiling water and cooled
You Will Need (for the buttercream)
- 65g soft unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cold, strong coffee
- Preheat your oven to 180. Add butter, sugar, eggs and milk into mixing bowl. Sift in the flour and baking powder into the bowl, then add in the coffee.
- Beat with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon until the mixture is light and smooth.
- Add in your walnuts and give a quick mix.
- Spoon mixture into paper cases and bake for around 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool before icing.
- Now for the icing. Beat your butter until it's a creamy, pale consistency.
- Sift in the icing sugar. I like to do this in stages, so that you can make it more/less thick as needed.
- Add in your coffee gradually. Too much and your icing will end up too runny.
- Ice the top of your cakes, and add on some walnuts for decoration.